Search This Blog

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Turkish Keeper Rustu calls it quits

Rustu Recber has retired from international football after Turkey's narrow 3-2 defeat to Germany in the Euro 2008 semi-finals.

The 35-year-old quits with sad memories after his mistake allowed Miroslav Klose to head Germany in front with 11 minutes left in Basel.

Although Semih Senturk equalised, Philipp Lahm had Rustu picking the ball out of his net again in the final minute and, this time, the goal proved decisive.

"I am ending my international career where I served with pride, glory and honour for 14 years," he told Uefa's official website.

"I would like to thank everybody who has helped me.

"I am proud of each of my team-mates. Everybody in Turkey should get behind them because this team can achieve a lot."

Besiktas number one Rustu won 118 caps for his country, but had been deposed by Volkan Demirel before his untimely suspension during the finals.

No comments:

Post a Comment