Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

FATIH TERIM IS LEAVING THE TURKISH NATIONAL TEAM


Turkey coach Fatih Terim said he would probably step down after his side were beaten 3-2 by a last-minute German goal in the first Euro 2008 semi-final Wednesday in Basle. Terim hailed his side's performance but said he would now "most probably" quit as national team coach, once he had spoken to the players and the football federation's president.

"I hope anyone who comes after me will do well," he said.

He indicated he would like to return to club management outside Turkey.

"I had declared earlier I would not be working in Turkey," he said.

"I am a man who keeps my promises, so I will most probably go back to a European country. But it would not be proper for me to say more details about this before having spoken with the president of the federation."

Turkey were beaten by a 90th-minute Philipp Lahm goal, after they had taken the lead, then come from behind to equalize at 2-2 through Semih Senturk in the 86th minute.

"I congratulate Germany for their win, and I wish them success in the final, but I am proud of my players," Terim said.

"I think they wanted to play well. They were able to show the world what a good team they are. I am very proud of them. It was important for me all my life to have players who enjoy playing. Perhaps we didn't play well during the whole tournament, but we played well today."

Terim went into the match without four suspended players and several injured. The coach said he did not want to use the absences as an excuse, but added: "We have to discuss the yellow cards" given to Turkey during the tournament.

He said: "Germany are a good team. They are serious opponents. Whatever I say now after the game is too late. The analysis should be made by the press.

"I think we were the side that played better. And it is not easy to face an opponent like Germany. I am happy that everyone could see good football being played out there today."

Terim said he hoped Turkey's success at Euro 2008 would be continued at future major tournaments.

"Football is a very important sector in Turkey. Seventy million people and their hearts were beating with the players today," he said.

"A team like Turkey must be in tournaments like this. It is important to be here. I believe in the future, too."

No comments:

Post a Comment