Search This Blog

Friday, December 25, 2009

Former Galatasaray Defender Abel Xavier quits football and becomes Muslim!.

Former Galatasaray and Portuguese international player Abel Xavier has announced his conversion to be a Muslim.

Xavier held a press conference in the Ras Al Khaimah stadium in the UAE before a league match in which he announced his conversion and his new name – Faisal.

The former Galatasaray defender held the press conference in the presence of members of the local royal family and announced his official retirement from football. He is now set to take part in a humanitarian project which will benefit the lives of millions in Africa.

"It's an emotional goodbye and I hope to participate in something very satisfying in a new stage of my life," said Xavier. "In moments of grief, I have found comfort in Islam. Slowly, I learned a religion that professes peace, equality, freedom and hope. These are foundations with which I identify. Only after a thorough knowledge and an intense experience, I took this decision. I'd like to thank the royal family for its love and affection. They embraced me and made me feel special."

The 37-year-old Xavier last played for Los Angeles Galaxy. He launched his career in Portugal and pursued it in Italy, Spain, the Netherlands, England, Turkey, Germany, and ultimately the
USA.

Source : Wires

No comments:

Post a Comment