Search This Blog

Thursday, January 31, 2008

BBC Sport :Appiah seeks Fenerbahce departure

According to BBC sports, Fenerbahce's Appiah wants out!...

Appiah seeks Fenerbahce departure
Ibrahim Sannie
BBC Sport in Accra

Appiah is at the Nations Cup as an advisor to Ghana's players
Ghana captain Stephen Appiah is unhappy with the treatment he has received from Turkish giants Fenerbahce and wants to leave the club, BBC Sport understands.

Appiah, 26, claims the Turkish side misdiagnosed the knee injury that ruled him out of the Africa Cup of Nations.

The midfielder is with the Black Stars as an advisor during the tournament.

"I am utterly disappointed with the way the Fenerbahce hierarchy have treated me and now I am considering my options," he told BBC Sport.

He also claimed the club are seeking to freeze his registration with the Turkish Football Federation to allow them use another foreign player in his place.

"I got injured while playing for this club in January last year and the leaders pleaded with me to delay my surgery, take injections to minimize the pain and continue playing for the club to win the title," Appiah said.
"I made these sacrifices for the club and took the surgery at the end of season and now they are seeking to freeze my registration through the media.

"This is what I get for serving this club with my whole heart."

He added: "After the surgery in May I began having some breathing difficulties and pains in my left knee and right knee generally.

"The club's medical staff diagnosed it as asthma and for three months I was on asthma medication and the situation did not improve.

"It was only until December that Turkish and Italian doctors confirmed that I was not suffering from asthma as the club had diagnosed, but rather I had developed blood clots in my left leg after the surgery, which later developed into micro embolisms.

While I have been here in Ghana, some leaks of my medical condition have been published in the Turkish papers saying that my condition is hereditary but that is not true at all.

"If this surgery had been well handled I could be playing for my country so my agents are looking at the option to see the next line of action."

Appiah's absence at the Nations Cup is considered by many as a huge blow to the host country as he is an inspirational part of the Black Stars set-up.

He led them to become the only African side to make it through the knock-out stages of the World Cup in Germany in 2006.

Appiah scored the winning penalty in their group match against USA - a victory which sent them through to the last 16.

No comments:

Post a Comment